Subject: bug#46151: 28.0.50; Set revert-buffer-function in shell command output buffers

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 14:38:28 +0200

On 02.02.2021 10:49, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> The impetus for introducing this binding now is that we have two cases
> of a non-special mode with a (very) useful `revert-buffer' binding, so
> we can't use `g' there.  So it's time to give it a global binding.

I offered an alternative suggestion for how 'g' could work (prohibit 
free editing when the command finishes). Or perhaps some of the other 
suggestions could be taken and standardized on for similar circumstances 
('C-c C-g' might be appropriate since it's major mode specific).

I think it's a nice property that major modes that have this binding 
implement some special behavior for reverting. And all that do, have 
this binding.

But now, if a global binding is added, I worry that people might abandon 
that convention.

> But I disagree that it's not a useful general command for non-power
> users: A common question is "how do I reload a file?", and we didn't
> have a key binding for that.  `C-x C-f' does not reliably reload a file,
> since it has DWIM stuff going on.

Isn't the answer to most such questions, 'enable global-auto-revert-mode'?

I do revert buffers explicitly from time to time too (especially when 
developing or debugging certain Elisp packages), but still not often 
enough to worry about having to type 'M-x revert-buffer'.