Subject: bug#46151: 28.0.50; Set revert-buffer-function in shell command output buffers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 09:49:14 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 01.02.2021 10:49, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> I think a global `revert-buffer' binding is the way to go.  How to
>> reload a file is something that comes up all the time, so I think it is
>> high time it got bound.
>
> My general feeling is that novice users don't often have a reason to
> call 'revert-buffer' manually (aside from major modes which already
> have a 'g' binding), and the power users generally already have some
> other command on 'C-x g' already (like magit-status or
> project-find-regexp).
>
> So the target audience for that chance seems limited.

The impetus for introducing this binding now is that we have two cases
of a non-special mode with a (very) useful `revert-buffer' binding, so
we can't use `g' there.  So it's time to give it a global binding.

But I disagree that it's not a useful general command for non-power
users: A common question is "how do I reload a file?", and we didn't
have a key binding for that.  `C-x C-f' does not reliably reload a file,
since it has DWIM stuff going on.

So giving the command a global binding fixes both these things.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no