Subject: Re: bug#4614: 23.1.50; tramp-ftp-file-name-handler: Recursive `require' for feature `ange-ftp'

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:43:12 +0200

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:43:53 +0200 Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Stephen Berman wrote:
>>
>>> Until sometime within the last few weeks (sorry, I can't narrow it down
>>> more), the following (anonymized) code worked fine:
>>
>> Are you sure? It fails for me in the same way in both 22 and 23.1.
>> (It seems you can require ange-ftp beforehand as a workaround.)
>
> Indeed. I've fixed this in tramp-ftp.el. Stephen, could you please
> check, whether it works for you?

I haven't updated yet to get your change, but I confirm the workaround
works with emacs -Q on my current build.

However, I just tried the code again with my init file on my current
build and I cannot reproduce it now.  After my init file loaded, I did
`C-h v features' and found both ange-ftp and tramp-*, which would
explain why it works.  I don't know why it didn't work when I reported
it (with the same initializations), but that failure happened in several
separate Emacs sessions, on at least two different days.  Perhaps I
loaded some function that unloaded ange-ftp, ...or it's a heisenbug.
Anyway, I'll update and try your fix, Michael.  You can wait till I
confirm it works to close the bug, but that might not be till tomorrow.
But since it appears to be unreproducible, it's probably ok to close it
now.

Steve Berman