Subject: bug#46116: 28.0.50; Ticking articles fails on Emacs 28 pgtk build

From: Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 10:00:07 -0700

In the gnus summary view, invoking gnus-summary-tick-article-forward,
either by hand or via any of the usual keybindings, fails.

 - There is no visual change in the buffer, and point stays on the same
   line.
 - Actually, one visual change: if caching is turned on, a "*" appears
   on the line.
 - If I quit the group and go back in, the ticked article *might* show
   as ticked.  If I catch up the group before quitting, it definitely
   will not be.
 - No errors are signaled.

Everything else in gnus (so far) seems to work as expected.

Yes, I know, I'm running a development build, the pieces are mine to
pick up.  I'm not expecting you to fix this for me, but thought you
might want to know.  I'll try to find some time to dig into it, but my
elisp is ... mediocre ...

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-12-30 built on 0d6babf728854e07b1f1e901237372b8
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Fedora 33 (Thirty Three)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-gpm=no
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-json
 --with-pgtk --with-nativecomp --enable-link-time-optimization
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 PGTK XIM MODULES NATIVE_COMP THREADS XWIDGETS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gnus-agent-group-mode: t
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/h/corbet/emacs/magit hides /h/corbet/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20170711.1307/magit
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init

Features:
(shadow emacsbug flow-fill eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func
shortdoc shell pcomplete comint ring smerge-mode diff tabify man vc-git
mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww xdg url-queue mm-url js imenu cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs sgml-mode jka-compr mm-archive view sendmail face-remap cl-print
mouse-copy mouse-drag shr-color color help-fns radix-tree misearch
multi-isearch flyspell ispell qp sort ansi-color gnus-cite mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nnfolder network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 nntp gnus-cache mule-util
server notmuch hl-line notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message
notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company
notmuch-parser notmuch-wash diff-mode easy-mmode coolj notmuch-query
goto-addr icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag edmacro kmacro crm notmuch-lib notmuch-version
notmuch-compat mm-view mml-smime smime dig delsel cus-edit cus-start
cus-load gnus-topic gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums text-property-search mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
paren tls gnutls puny erc-goodies erc erc-backend iso8601 time-date
thingatpt pp format-spec erc-loaddefs finder-inf clang-rename
clang-include-fixer let-alist clang-format xml info package browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode easymenu
seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 848048 72740)
 (symbols 48 33719 1)
 (strings 32 168635 14854)
 (string-bytes 1 5731013)
 (vectors 16 60617)
 (vector-slots 8 1983354 226044)
 (floats 8 611 330)
 (intervals 56 8546 2003)
 (buffers 984 39))