Subject: Re: bug#46114: [PATCH] website: Localize package list.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 22:29:33 +0100

Hi,

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This patch lets us localize package synopsis and description in package
> lists. This is not super useful, because our guix-packages domain is
> almost untranslated, for every language, but I think it's better than
> nothing.

Yes, good idea.

> Locally, you can simply copy an existing guix-packages.mo (on the Guix
> System,
> /run/current-system/profile/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/guix-packages.mo
> for the German translation) to the local locale directory
> (de/LC_MESSAGES/guix-packages.mo), in the same way we do for the
> guix-website domain.
>
> I also modified .guix.scm so the website can be generated with
> localized packages. I used the latest guix package from the current
> guix, because latest-guix (defined in .guix.scm) does not have any
> locale information in it (mo or po). Any idea to get the latest
> translations instead?

‘latest-guix’ is the same as what you get with ‘guix pull’, so it knows
where to find its .gmo files—see this bit in (guix self):

                (bindtextdomain "guix"
                                #$(locale-data source "guix"))
                (bindtextdomain "guix-packages"
                                #$(locale-data source
                                               "guix-packages"
                                               "packages"))

Now, you sent the wrong patch.  :-)

Ludo’.