Subject: bug#461: closed (Re: bug#461: delete-window means "get out of my face" even for sole window)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#461: delete-window means "get out of my face" even for sole window

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
461: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=461
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#461: delete-window means "get out of my face" even for sole window
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:32:56 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I don't see a need to keep open this particular report, which was marked
"wontfix" some time ago.

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> There's already "C-x b RET", "C-x <right>", "C-x <left>" and probably
> several other ways to do what you want, so I see no need to change
> C-x 0 in the way you suggest.
>
> C-x 0 currently doesn't care about buffers, only about windows, so your
> "extension" doesn't seem very natural to me.

>From [email-masked] Sat Jun 21 16:59:35 2008
To: [email-masked]
Subject: delete-window means "get out of my face" even for sole window
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:29:50 +0800

Ah, why of course: C-x 0 (delete-window) issued when there is only one
window, should reveal the next best buffer.

Why? Because when the user types C-x 0, he is saying "get out of my
face", and emacs should do what he means. Indeed, it should be just
like he hit C-x b RET, picking the default buffer prompted with.
(I say don't prompt him on C-x 0, but you could if you insist.)

And don't bury the old buffer, just move it one down in the list.

Currently C-x 0 gives
"Attempt to delete minibuffer or sole ordinary window"

I am only discussing "sole ordinary window". As far as deleting the
minibuffer, that should still be illegal.