Subject: Re: bug#46082 acknowledged by developer (control message for bug #46082)

From: Marco Munari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 20:22:58 +0100

I noticed only the bug close notification now,
the mention of python info example was secondary,
the rendering difform to specification emerges precisely
with (texinfo) manual itself

Repro steps:

1. launch emacs info	C-h i
2. go to node		g (texinfo)@ref

read the rendered manual page with attention
(I described at the beginning of the initial bug report
 the problem in the line marked with (*))

python and even perl info manuals uses a lot of @ref (according
to the way texinfo does and describe its functionality)
resulting a lot of inappropriate  See  making the references surrounded
by nonsense "see ... dot(.)", but the problem emerges in the exact page
of texinfo describing how @ref should work, showing that it doesnt.

Anyway as required an example on how python manual looks,
here there is a random section (Note the "see" are simply misleading.
My fix removes the default misbehaviour for "see",
but the dot(.) after the node description remains):
========================================================================
File: python.info,  Node: Expression input,  Prev: Interactive input,  Up: Top-level components

4.9.4 Expression input
----------------------

*note eval(). is used for expression input.  It ignores leading
whitespace.  The string argument to *note eval(). must have the
following form:

     eval_input ::= expression_list NEWLINE*
========================================================================

And here is an extract of `perlfunc` info manual:

========================================================================
File: perlfunc.info,  Node: Top,  Up: (dir)

1 NAME
******

perlfunc - Perl builtin functions

2 DESCRIPTION
*************

...

2.1 Perl Functions by Category
==============================

Here are Perl’s functions (including things that look like functions,
like some keywords and named operators) arranged by category.  Some
functions appear in more than one place.  Any warnings, including those
produced by keywords, are described in *note (perldiag):: and *note
(warnings)::.

Functions for SCALARs or strings

     *note ‘chomp’, *note ‘chop’, *note
     ‘chr’, *note ‘crypt’ *note ‘fc’, *note ‘hex’, *note ‘index’,
     *note ‘lc’, *note ‘lcfirst’, *note ‘length’, *note ‘oct’, *note
     ‘ord’, *note ‘pack’, *note ‘q//’, *note ‘qq//’, *note ‘reverse’,
     *note ‘rindex’, *note ‘sprintf’, *note ‘substr’, *note ‘tr///’,
     *note ‘uc’, *note ‘ucfirst’, *note ‘y///’.

     *note ‘fc’: fc EXPR. is available only if the *note ‘"fc"’ feature:
     (feature)The 'fc' feature. is enabled or if it is prefixed with
     ‘CORE::’.  The *note ‘"fc"’ feature: (feature)The 'fc' feature. is
     enabled automatically with a ‘use v5.16’ (or higher) declaration in
     the current scope.

Regular expressions and pattern matching

     *note ‘m//’: m//, *note ‘pos’: pos SCALAR, *note ‘qr//’:
     qr/STRING/, *note ‘quotemeta’: quotemeta EXPR, *note ‘s///’: s///,
     *note ‘split’: split /PATTERN/,EXPR,LIMIT, *note ‘study’: study
     SCALAR.
...

break

     Break out of a ‘given’ block.

     *note ‘break’. is available only if the *note ‘"switch"’
     feature(feature). is enabled or if it is
     prefixed with ‘CORE::’.  The *note ‘"switch"’ feature(feature).
     . is enabled automatically with a ‘use v5.10’ (or
     higher) declaration in the current scope.
...
========================================================================