Subject: bug#46073: 28.0.50; etags stops processing with no reason

From: "Andrea G. Monaco" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 14:55:40 +0100

Hello,

calling etags on the following file gives a wrong result. This is a
modified snippet from the GNU Mach sources.

  macro_call(, b)

  void
  test(void)
  {
  }

The result is

draft.c,16
macro_call(1,0

The first line is a macro call, not a definition, so it should not
appear at all in the TAGS file. And then the parsing stops so there's no
"test" in the file. Maybe the problem lies in the empty macro argument
or the missing semicolon?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-12-01 built on agm
Repository revision: 90a543e630012cc58c175d5bf3ffd42bb156c6b6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode asm-mode
gnutls network-stream nsm mailalias smtpmail sendmail sort mail-extr
message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib time tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 103955 20497)
 (symbols 48 10242 1)
 (strings 32 27354 1476)
 (string-bytes 1 1012919)
 (vectors 16 15639)
 (vector-slots 8 214459 27136)
 (floats 8 34 339)
 (intervals 56 4352 176)
 (buffers 984 20))

-- 
Andrea G. Monaco
Hacker, mathematician, lgbt+ activist
"Hope will never be silent!", H. Milk