Subject: Re: bug#46055: [PATCH] Add rust lang to etags

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 18:27:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem is that people make mechanic changes to all our sources,
> and forget that files in this particular directory shall NOT be
> changed, or else if they are, the '*good*' files with expected results
> should be updated at that very moment.  Examples of such changes
> include: yearly update of copyright years, removal of obsolete
> variables across the board, spelling fixes, etc.  Just do
>
>   git log test/manual/etags/c-src/abbrev.c
>
> and you will see what I mean.

Yes, I was most puzzled when trying to find out just what was going on
in that directory.  I wondered whether the test cases were somehow...
copying files from the main Emacs source directories (since many of them
have the same names and are updated in this way).

> Each such change breaks this test suite, and requires manual
> inspection of the diffs to convince ourselves that the new results are
> correct and not bugs.

Yup.  So I think a README to explain what's going on in that directory
would be helpful.  :-)

I've now added a test case for Rust.  (Note: I don't know Rust at all.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no