Subject: bug#46042: closed (Re: bug#46042: 27.1; xref-revert-buffer will delete buffer contents)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 01:00:03 +0000

Your bug report

#46042: 27.1; xref-revert-buffer will delete buffer contents

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46042: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46042
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46042: 27.1; xref-revert-buffer will delete buffer contents
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Vangelis Evangelou <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 02:59:39 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 28.1

Hi!

On 22.01.2021 21:12, Vangelis Evangelou wrote:
> 
> Hello. In a scratch buffer containing some text, run the function
> xref-revert-buffer. The buffer content will be deleted and it is not
> possible to undo. The function should check that it is applied in a
> suitable buffer before modifying the buffer.

Thanks for the report. Indeed, it sounds unfortunate, if you just called 
the command accidentally.

I've pushed a fix (which will make it complain with (void-function nil) 
instead of erasing the buffer) to master. Sometime later, we'll tag a 
new release of the xref package, and you'll be able to update to the new 
version through 'M-x list-packages'.

Subject: 27.1; xref-revert-buffer will delete buffer contents
From: Vangelis Evangelou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 19:12:25 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello. In a scratch buffer containing some text, run the function
xref-revert-buffer. The buffer content will be deleted and it is not
possible to undo. The function should check that it is applied in a
suitable buffer before modifying the buffer.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll 
bars)
  of 2020-08-11 built on ThinkPad-T410
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Linux Mint 20.1

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading xref...done
xref-revert-buffer: Symbol’s function definition is void: nil
primitive-undo: Changes to be undone are outside visible portion of buffer

Configured using:
  'configure --without-pop --with-x-toolkit=lucid
  --with-file-notification=inotify --with-x --with-modules'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils xref cl-seq project ring eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 51127 7472)
  (symbols 48 6843 1)
  (strings 32 18319 1645)
  (string-bytes 1 591343)
  (vectors 16 11607)
  (vector-slots 8 156041 10294)
  (floats 8 21 31)
  (intervals 56 210 0)
  (buffers 1000 11))