Subject: guix system vm-image ignores filesystem type

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 20:12:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi Guix,

I believe that this is a feature request. I would like to create a Guix 
qcow2 image to run as a VM. Additionally, I would like the root file 
system to be btrfs. Therefore, I created an operating system definition 
with the following file-systems:

```
(file-systems (cons (file-system
                      (mount-point "/")
                      (device "/dev/vda1")
                      (type "btrfs")
                      (flags '(no-atime))
                      (options "compress=zstd"))
                     %base-file-systems))
```

I then ran `guix system vm-image --image-size=10G --volatile config.scm`. 
That successfully created a qcow2 image, but the root file system was ext4 
instead of btrfs.

Ideally, I would get an image with a btrfs filesystem. I expect supporting 
all combinations of filesystems and mapped devices might be challenging 
for the image creation process, but some more options might be 
interesting. At the very least, I think a warning or error when the 
requested configuration is not supported would be appropriate.

What do you think about this feature?

Best,
Jack