Subject: [bug#45972] Julia importer?

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 08:22:33 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 at 21:00, Nicolò Balzarotti <[email-masked]> wrote:

> That wouldn't be too hard, but also it would not be enough.  As you can
> see in [fn:1], there's just the list of dependencies, but no info on how
> to get them, so parsing the Julia General Registry [fn:2] is still required.

[...]

> I'm just ignoring Manifest.toml, which should be the same as venv in the
> python world.

Sorry, you have right.  I have misremembered an old presentation about
Pkg3 by Stefan Karpinski.

Well, thanks for the pointers.  And I gave a look at the Pkg doc. ;-)

Once a PEG parser for TOML files is written, all the information is in
the Registry (by default this General repository), recursively.

However, the “resolve” part is not straightforward, IMHO.  It is what
confused me in my previous email and I thought was “Manifest.toml”.
Anyway.

Instead of reinventing the wheel and reimplement Pkg.jl in Guix, maybe
it is worth to have Julia code as you did that extracts the relevant
information and then generates the relevant Guix packages.  However, it
should mean that “guix import julia” requires to have the package julia
implicitly used.  Why not. :-)

Cheers,
simon