Subject: bug#4597: Antwort: Re: bug#4587: 23.1; sort-lines and sort-fields always set buffer modified

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:00:56 +0200

> Yes, that's generally desirable.  But in the above cases, given the way
> the code currently works, it's fairly inconvenient to do (the code does
> modify the buffer, it just so happens that the end text is the same as
> the original text), so it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Wouldn't it be possible in case of an unmodified buffer to copy the 
content of the region at the beginning to a temporary buffer, compare it 
to the result afterwards, and if they match to restore the unmodified 
status?

I sometimes need to check a list (which isn't small enough to be checked 
at a glance) after editing it if it is still sorted.
Now I write he region before and after sorting it to separate files and 
compare them, but I wonder if a powerful tool like emacs must keep such an 
obvious annoyance like this...

Thanks!
-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Roland Meier
     \|||/ 
     (o o) 
==ooO==U==Ooo==