Subject: bug#45962: ‘binutils-mesboot0’ includes non-zero timestamps in ar archives

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 18:54:29 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hello!

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> On #bootstrappable, mid-kid reported that ‘binutils-mesboot0’ in
>> commencement.scm lacks ‘--enable-deterministic-archives’.  So I checked
>> if this had an effect by running:

> [...]
>
>> Apparently Binutils 2.14 didn’t have ‘--enable-deterministic-archives’
>> so we’ll have to patch it.
>
> Sikonas on #bootstrappable provided a patch for that (thanks!) so I went
> ahead and gave it a try on ‘core-updates’ (Guix patch attached).

Great!

> The binutils source gets patched and repacked, but then decompressing it
> fails:

[..]

> Maxime, does that ring a bell?  Could it be that this bootstrap ‘xz’ is
> less capable, or could it be a Gash-Utils bug?

Currently, we avoid using non-bootstrapped binaries in the bootstrap,
that includes 'xz'; earlier in the bootstrap that includes also 'patch'.

See also gcc-core-mesboot0: it applies the patch in a manual phase.  So
I'm not sure if we want to start depending on 'xz' an this stage?

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com