Subject: bug#45945: closed (Re: bug#45945: 28.0.50; Feature request: Some kind of 'max-window-height' parameter for display-buffer-in-direction)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 01:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#45945: 28.0.50; Feature request: Some kind of 'max-window-height' parameter for display-buffer-in-direction

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45945: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45945
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#45945: 28.0.50; Feature request: Some kind of 'max-window-height' parameter for display-buffer-in-direction
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 03:11:50 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 18.01.2021 03:55, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> It will be helpful to limit the height of the resulting window (either
> in lines or in percentages of the parent window height). If the split 
> has been performed, of course.

Looks like I've managed that with 'window-height' alist entry set to a 
function that wraps fit-window-to-buffer.

Commit 4ca808ee7a in master.

Subject: 28.0.50; Feature request: Some kind of 'max-window-height' parameter for display-buffer-in-direction
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 03:55:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

It will be helpful to limit the height of the resulting window (either
in lines or in percentages of the parent window height). If the split 
has been performed, of course.

At the moment, it can take up almost all of the parent window's height,
and that's not ideal for our use of it in
xref-show-definitions-buffer-at-bottom.