Subject: Re: bug#45925: 27.1; *Summary* buffer vs. raw utf-8 headers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 19:06:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Why do you expect a mixed-encoding stuff to work in Emacs?  Emacs only
> supports a single encoding of any chunk of text it gets, be it a file
> or an email message.
>
> Files such as this one are simply not supported.

Sure they are.  It's not a text file; it's an octet stream.

But as Dan points out, Gnus doesn't handle these invalid mails
optimally, and doing some RFC2047-encoding to the headers before writing
the .overview file will help a bit here, so I've now done that in Emacs
28.

(Gnus will still display some of these headers "wrong" in the summary
buffer, and display them "right" in the article buffer, because Gnus has
to guess at what the charset is, and it does further guessing in the
article buffer than in the summary buffer, for reasons of efficiency.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no