Subject: [bug#45919] [PATCH 0/8] Exporting a manifest and channels from a profile

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 15:31:27 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 22:51, Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sorry, misunderstanding :)

Have a drink together is missing because these times we have
communication issues. :-)

> I'm proposing:
>
> 1) Zero command :p
>
> 2) On every profile modification (install, upgrade, removal), store the
> channel description and the manifest specification (as produced by this
> patch commands) to $GUIX_PROFILE/channels.scm and
> $GUIX_PROFILE/manifest-spec.scm, respectively.
>
> ($GUIX_PROFILE being the target profile, of course.)
>
> Does that make more sense?

Yes, but it needs a lot of re-work and change, IMHO.  And we ends with 3
files: $GUIX_PROFILE/manifest capturing the states of $GUIX_PROFILE and
the 2 others deducing an approximation of these states.  Well, IMHO,
automatically produce this approximation at each «action» on the profile
adds complexity and I am not convinced it is worth.

Cheers,
simon