Subject: Re: bug#45898: 27.1; wedged in redisplay again

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:40:47 +1200

On 2022-06-14 00:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> "Freeze" is not actually a requirement; it's enough if Emacs's
> responses become very slow.  For now, I used the file described here:
> 
>   
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2022-05/msg00070.html
> 
> But it is only one kind of such files.  Perhaps Phil could point me to
> additional examples; added to CC.

My standard example is this file:
https://github.com/Wilfred/ReVo-utilities/blob/a4bdc40dd2656c496defc461fc19c403c8306d9f/revo-export/dictionary.json?raw=true

and which is ~19MB in a single line of JSON (which normally freezes
Emacs for several minutes on quite fast hardware by simply visiting the
file), and which comes from this question:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/598/how-do-i-prevent-extremely-long-lines-making-emacs-slow

I've also used cut-down versions of that file in testing.  I'm attaching
a ~300K extract from that which is more than enough to make things 
painful
at the end of the line (or slow-yet-manageable with so-long enabled).

And here's an XML file of similar size and effect:
wget -O long-line.xml 
https://updates.drupal.org/release-history/drupal/current

-Phil