Subject: bug#45898: 27.1; wedged in redisplay again

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 15:37:08 +0200

Devon Sean McCullough <[email-masked]> writes:

> If lldb forces read_char to return Qnil or redisplay_internal to return,
> will Emacs crash immediately or survive long enough to save all buffers
> or better yet continue working?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

It probably won't continue working, but it's hard to say.

> P.S.  If there exists a way to quickly and safely abort redisplay,
> perhaps there should be a hook invoked when repeated keyboard-quit
> has no effect, allowing experimentation into workarounds for this
> apparently intractable redisplay problem?

I wonder whether there's been any discussion about handling `C-g' during
redisplay.  For instance, if the user hits `C-g' six times in a row
during redisplay, that should be an indication that perhaps Emacs should
stop doing what it's doing -- and, for instance, switch on so-long-mode.

Eli, would it be possible to implement something like that?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no