Subject: Re: bug#45898: 27.1; wedged in redisplay again

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 12:30:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> So one challenge is to detect the "during redisplay" situation,
> including the fact that it's "still the same redisplay cycle".

Yes.  This reminds me of something else I was thinking about a while
back -- if we had something that could tell us "this redisplay cycle has
lasted X seconds", then we could possibly have something to react to
that.  I.e., if the redisplay cycle has gone on for more than 10
seconds, then switch on so-long-mode and see whether that helps...

> As for the C-g idea, I think a better and cleaner idea would be to use
> atimers to detect signs of potentially a very long redisplay cycle,
> and then do...something.  Not unlike what we already do with the
> hourglass-cursor feature.

Ah, yes, that's true -- we already almost have something here via the
hourglass thing.  Hm...  So we could call something from an atimer...
but do we have a way to (safely) signal to redisplay that it should stop
what it's doing?

> Other clever ideas are welcome.

Indeed.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no