Subject: bug#45894: AW: AW: bug#45894: Bug report for preview-latex

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:10:17 +0100

"Bruckmann, Tobias" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear David,
>
> this is a good question. I didn't want to push

Not?

> but just point out the relevance of the issue, believing that you feel
> a personal appreciation (and/or certain responsibility) for a code you
> officially maintain.
>
> If I had the expertise to fix the code on my own, I would not have
> spent the time to find and bother you, but better invest it to produce
> the solution and propose it to you.
>
> If you ask for money - that could be a problem. I have no idea on the
> time needed to find the problem, to fix and to test it. Hiring a
> professional is probably beyond my budget as I am just an
> academics. As such, I am volunteering as well in multiple matters,
> trying to improve things - so I think when it comes to projects driven
> by enthusiastism, I share your engagement, but I don't think that a
> spirit of needing individual payments will lead to a better future for
> open source projects.

I thought so.  I've invested decades of my time in Free Software, living
below minimum wage, with the obvious consequences for my personal
future.  All that buys you is people thinking they are entitled to it
and argue you should do more for them.

There are times when this motivational framework does not work all that
well for me.

-- 
David Kastrup