Subject: Re: bug#45893: [PATCH 0/2] DRAFT: Hint for options.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 23:05:32 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 at 22:20, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> And the rest LGTM!
>
> So I don’t know, should we try a more efficient-but-still-readable
> variant right away, or should we first apply these three patches?

Well, I have implemented [1] the full matrix version, almost copy/paste
from Wikipedia [2]. :-) Ugly, isn’t it!

Let merge and improve if required, IMHO.  As Arun mentioned in the
«improving “guix search”» thread, maybe it is worth to give a look at
the Guile string library.

However, there is a missing point not discussed and important: it only
works for ’parse-command-line’ and not ’args-fold*’.  The main reason
is: I have not found how to raise the hint for these both functions
without code duplication.

If there is no technical blocking point, I would like to replace (with
care and double-check) all the ’args-fold*’ by ’parse-command-line’.  An
unified CLI entry-point.

Well, extend what is done for “guix show” and “guix search” for all the
commands.   In one commit.

WDYT?

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/45893#16>
2:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levenshtein_distance#Computing_Levenshtein_distance>

Cheers,
simon