Subject: bug#45872: 27.1; rcirc nick tracking

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:49:16 +0200

Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:

> One of my IRC contacts uses frequent nick changes to indicate away
> status, e.g., "johnsmith" when available, "johnsmith|away",
> "johnsmith|vacation", whatever. I've noticed that sometimes rcirc will
> fail to rename the buffer used for private messages between us, and so
> I'll wind up with a buffer "johnsmith|away" showing something along the
> lines of:
>
>   ... *** johnsmith NICK johnsmith|away
>   ... *** johnsmith|away NICK johnsmith
>
> but the buffer won't have been renamed back to "johnsmith@<server>", and
> if I try sending him a message, it'll try sending to johnsmith|away and
> will fail. I can use "/msg johnsmith...", or he can send messages to me,
> and a new buffer will be created.

rcirc has gotten a lot of fixes in Emacs 28, but I'm not sure whether
this is one of the things that have been fixed.  I've added Philip to
the CCs; he'll probably know.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no