Subject: Re: bug#45872: 27.1; rcirc nick tracking

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:02:12 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> One of my IRC contacts uses frequent nick changes to indicate away
>> status, e.g., "johnsmith" when available, "johnsmith|away",
>> "johnsmith|vacation", whatever. I've noticed that sometimes rcirc will
>> fail to rename the buffer used for private messages between us, and so
>> I'll wind up with a buffer "johnsmith|away" showing something along the
>> lines of:
>>
>>   ... *** johnsmith NICK johnsmith|away
>>   ... *** johnsmith|away NICK johnsmith
>>
>> but the buffer won't have been renamed back to "johnsmith@<server>",

Do you have some idea in what cases the buffer is not renamed?  In
principle, the NICK handler (rcirc-handler-NICK) should handle this
case, but there might be issues if you disconnect and reconnect.

>> and if I try sending him a message, it'll try sending to
>> johnsmith|away and will fail.  I can use "/msg johnsmith...", or he
>> can send messages to me, and a new buffer will be created.

This hasn't been fixed yet, but I am intending to do so.

> rcirc has gotten a lot of fixes in Emacs 28, but I'm not sure whether
> this is one of the things that have been fixed.  I've added Philip to
> the CCs; he'll probably know.  :-)

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic