Subject: [bug#45860] Improve PostgreSQL service.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 09:56:41 +0100

Hello Chris,

> I haven't read through these changes in detail, but the mixing of the
> record describing the config file, and the record for configuring the
> service introduces the limitation that you can no longer specify any
> lowerable object (like a file) or something like a string to use a
> config file outside of the store. Did you have a reason for mixing the
> records together?

I must admit I overlooked that possibility. The reason for merging the
records is that the "log-destination" is now needed both to enable
"pg_ctl" logging in "postgresql-shepherd-service" and in
"postgresql-config-file" to be written in PostgreSQL configuration.

Plus having a record called <postgresql-configuration> that does not
contain some of the configuration field feels weird.

Is passing a lowerable config file a use case of yours? In that case I
could still add a "raw-config" field to override the configuration file
creation.

Thanks,

Mathieu