Subject: bug#45856: Shadowsocks issue

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 19:56:58 +0100

Hello musics,

I don't think that's necessarily a bug in Guix or even in shadowsocks. 
shadowsocks actually has a wiki including an example configuration [1].
To be fair, however, that configuation is not immediately usable, as
you are supposed to change both server and password to make it run.

Even if you aren't very knowledgeable on it, you should try consulting
that manual first and not Guix folk here or in IRC.  There aren't many
shadowsocks users here -- the fact, that no one noticed it was missing
OpenSSL for more than 2.5 years, speaks volumes -- or in other words,
the overlap between "people who could help you set up shadowsocks" and
"people, who use Guix" is rather small.  The reason I was able to fix
that issue, was because I know a little Python and I know how to
package stuff in Guix, not because of some higher knowledge about
shadowsocks itself.  And I only noticed, because someone (else?) was
reporting it at the time.

The fact, that shadowsocks has not seen a single commit for two years
(and only one in nearly three years) does not make it seem as if it is
still maintained upstream either.  That being said, good luck getting
it to run.

Regards,
Leo

[1] 
https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks/wiki/Configuration-via-Config-File