Subject: bug#45849: Autoconf options and dependencies

From: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 19:05:02 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I noticed Grep offers these two autoconf options (and friends):

    --with-libiconv-prefix
    --with-libintl-prefix

Configure does not complain when they are used.

However, when I check link dependencies with ldd:

    $ ldd /usr/local/bin/grep
        linux-vdso.so.1
        libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

There seems to be no iConv dependencies, but there does seem to be
PCRE dependencies. (It may be time to bump to PCRE2 since PCRE is
end-of-life and the sources have some undefined behavior present).

If I use --with-libpcre-prefix, then I get an autoconf warning:

    WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-libpcre-prefix

It looks like something is a bit sideways.

Jef