Subject: bug#45840: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Remove hardcoded underline for perl-mode variables

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 07:32:18 +0100

Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:

> The attached patch merely assigns font-lock-variable-name-face while
> removing the hardcoded underline property.
>
> If you think that the underline should remain in place, then I can
> provide another patch that would add a new face which would inherit from
> font-lock-variable-name-face and add an underline accordingly.

The comment here mentions this:

     ;; Additionally underline non-scalar variables.  Maybe this is a bad idea.
     ;;'("[$@%*][#{]?\\(\\sw+\\)" 1 font-lock-variable-name-face)
     ("[$*]{?\\(\\sw+\\(::\\sw+\\)*\\)" 1 font-lock-variable-name-face)
     ("\\([@%]\\|\\$#\\)\\(\\sw+\\(::\\sw+\\)*\\)"
      (2 (cons font-lock-variable-name-face '(underline))))

And it is a bad idea to hard-code this, but having different faces here
makes sense, I think.  So could you whip up another patch to add the new
face, as you suggested?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no