Subject: Re: bug#45834: 28.0.50; Mouse events in terminal emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 16:34:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Indeed, the echoed keys are poor here.  I don't know why we have that
> here: when I bind `f6` to a prefix keymap and I hit `f6` in xterm, I see
> `f6-` in the echo area rather than `M-[ 1 7~-`, so there's something odd
> going on, but AFAICT the problem is "cosmetic" in the sense that it only
> affects the echoed keys.
>
> I thought the bug report here was about a problem beyond the set of keys
> that were echoed.

My reading is that this is purely about the confusing cosmetics:

  If I press "C-h k", and then switch to another application, then this is
  registered as "ESC [ I-"

Note the "-" at the end.  But perhaps Brady can clarify.

So this is a very minor issue, but it's just...  odd.

And it would perhaps be cool if Emacs had a mechanism to make events
like this "go away" more completely than we currently have, but that's
perhaps not feasible (since we do bind them to functions and stuff).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no