Subject: bug#45826: SBCL / Common Lisp packages fail to build on aarch64

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 13:58:39 -0500

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:42:58AM +0100, Guillaume Le Vaillant wrote:
> When taking a look at the logs of failing builds of sbcl-* packages on
> aarch64-linux (for example at [1] for master or at [2] for staging),
> I saw that the build jobs try to build sbcl (which is currently failing)
> for every package.
> 
> I would have expected the builds for sbcl-* packages to be marked as
> "failed because missing dependency" given that the main dependency of
> the asdf-build-system/sbcl failed to build. Instead the build farm is
> trying to rebuild sbcl over and over, which wastes quite some time and
> resources.
> 
> It looks like the dependencies of the build system are not considered as
> dependencies for the packages that use this build system.
> Am I missing something?

That's a good observation. I hadn't thought of it.

I'm CC-ing Mathieu Othacehe and guix-sysadmin so that we can disable
these builds until we can fix the bug for real. Mathieu: this might
explain why the build farm is spending all its effort on aarch64.

By the way, SBCL can be built for aarch64 according to Efraim:

http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2021-01-13.log#105652

So, the original point of this bug is obviated, and I'm re-titling it to
address your observation, Guillaume.