Subject: bug#45826: SBCL / Common Lisp packages fail to build on aarch64

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:42:58 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:03:47PM +0100, Guillaume Le Vaillant wrote:
>> I tried to bootstrap sbcl using ecl instead of clisp, using
>> "guix build -s aarch64-linux sbcl" on a x86-64 machine because I don't
>> have any arm64 hardware, but it failed with the same memory fault.
>
> Thanks! On #guix, Efraim reported that the builds were succeeding on his
> aarch64 hardware. So, I'm not sure what's going on :/

When taking a look at the logs of failing builds of sbcl-* packages on
aarch64-linux (for example at [1] for master or at [2] for staging),
I saw that the build jobs try to build sbcl (which is currently failing)
for every package.

I would have expected the builds for sbcl-* packages to be marked as
"failed because missing dependency" given that the main dependency of
the asdf-build-system/sbcl failed to build. Instead the build farm is
trying to rebuild sbcl over and over, which wastes quite some time and
resources.

It looks like the dependencies of the build system are not considered as
dependencies for the packages that use this build system.
Am I missing something?

[1] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/31355?status=failed
[2] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/20644?status=failed