Subject: bug#45819: 28.0.50; time-stamp-tests failures

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:55:10 +0000

X-Debbugs-Cc: Stephen Gildea <[email-masked]>

I've been seeing the attached failures in time-stamp-format-am-pm,
time-stamp-format-ignored-modifiers, and time-stamp-format-string-width
for a while now.

My guess is that all three are failing because AM/PM format is not
supported in my locale, and so '%p' returns an empty string, as per
(info "(libc) Formatting Calendar Time").

Should the tests be changed to just also handle an empty/blank string,
or is a more complicated fix required?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-01-12 built on tia
Repository revision: ca024b0575c4ea754c4c6e6dbf21ed610e0d1fb8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CC=ccache gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --enable-checking=structs
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Running 27 tests (2021-01-12 16:30:45+0000, selector ‘(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))’)
   passed   1/27  time-stamp-custom-count (0.000162 sec)
   passed   2/27  time-stamp-custom-end (0.000067 sec)
   passed   3/27  time-stamp-custom-format-tabs-expand (0.000161 sec)
   passed   4/27  time-stamp-custom-inserts-lines (0.000088 sec)
   passed   5/27  time-stamp-custom-pattern (0.000928 sec)
   passed   6/27  time-stamp-custom-time-zone (0.000124 sec)
Test time-stamp-format-am-pm backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (equal (time-stamp-string "%#p" ref
  ert-fail(((should (equal (time-stamp-string "%#p" ref-time1) "pm")) 
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x8b3f0cf664f83f8>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name time-stamp-format-am-pm :documentatio
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable))) #f(co
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/time-stamp-tests" "-
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test time-stamp-format-am-pm condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (equal
	(time-stamp-string "%#p" ref-time1)
	"pm"))
      :form
      (equal "" "pm")
      :value nil :explanation
      (arrays-of-different-length 0 2 "" "pm" first-mismatch-at 0)))
   FAILED   7/27  time-stamp-format-am-pm (0.000081 sec)
   passed   8/27  time-stamp-format-day-number-in-week (0.000068 sec)
   passed   9/27  time-stamp-format-day-of-month (0.000077 sec)
   passed  10/27  time-stamp-format-day-of-week (0.000069 sec)
   passed  11/27  time-stamp-format-hours-12 (0.000093 sec)
   passed  12/27  time-stamp-format-hours-24 (0.000092 sec)
Test time-stamp-format-ignored-modifiers backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (equal (time-stamp-string "%.,@-+_ 
  ert-fail(((should (equal (time-stamp-string "%.,@-+_ ^(stuff)P" ref-
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0xc68192e38314a10>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name time-stamp-format-ignored-modifiers :
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable))) #f(co
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/time-stamp-tests" "-
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test time-stamp-format-ignored-modifiers condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (equal
	(time-stamp-string "%.,@-+_ ^(stuff)P" ref-time3)
	"AM"))
      :form
      (equal "  " "AM")
      :value nil :explanation
      (array-elt 0
		 (different-atoms
		  (32 "#x20" "? ")
		  (65 "#x41" "?A")))))
   FAILED  13/27  time-stamp-format-ignored-modifiers (0.000074 sec)
   passed  14/27  time-stamp-format-minute (0.000109 sec)
   passed  15/27  time-stamp-format-month-name (0.000061 sec)
   passed  16/27  time-stamp-format-month-number (0.000075 sec)
   passed  17/27  time-stamp-format-non-conversions (0.000035 sec)
   passed  18/27  time-stamp-format-non-date-conversions (0.000074 sec)
   passed  19/27  time-stamp-format-second (0.000074 sec)
Test time-stamp-format-string-width backtrace:
  signal(ert-test-failed (((should (equal (time-stamp-string "%1P" ref
  ert-fail(((should (equal (time-stamp-string "%1P" ref-time3) "A")) :
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x1c7303a0ee5a2b2>)()
  ert--run-test-internal(#s(ert--test-execution-info :test #s(ert-test
  ert-run-test(#s(ert-test :name time-stamp-format-string-width :docum
  ert-run-or-rerun-test(#s(ert--stats :selector ... :tests ... :test-m
  ert-run-tests((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable))) #f(co
  ert-run-tests-batch((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :unstable)))
  ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit((not (or (tag :expensive-test) (tag :un
  eval((ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit '(not (or (tag :expensive-test) (
  command-line-1(("-L" ":." "-l" "ert" "-l" "lisp/time-stamp-tests" "-
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Test time-stamp-format-string-width condition:
    (ert-test-failed
     ((should
       (equal
	(time-stamp-string "%1P" ref-time3)
	"A"))
      :form
      (equal " " "A")
      :value nil :explanation
      (array-elt 0
		 (different-atoms
		  (32 "#x20" "? ")
		  (65 "#x41" "?A")))))
   FAILED  20/27  time-stamp-format-string-width (0.000074 sec)
   passed  21/27  time-stamp-format-time-zone-name (0.000095 sec)
   passed  22/27  time-stamp-format-time-zone-offset (0.000125 sec)
   passed  23/27  time-stamp-format-year-2digit (0.000113 sec)
   passed  24/27  time-stamp-format-year-4digit (0.000040 sec)
   passed  25/27  time-stamp-helper-safe-locals (0.000051 sec)
   passed  26/27  time-stamp-helper-string-defaults (0.000069 sec)
   passed  27/27  time-stamp-helper-zone-type-p (0.000041 sec)

Ran 27 tests, 24 results as expected, 3 unexpected (2021-01-12 16:30:45+0000, 0.232066 sec)

3 unexpected results:
   FAILED  time-stamp-format-am-pm
   FAILED  time-stamp-format-ignored-modifiers
   FAILED  time-stamp-format-string-width