Subject: Re: [bug#45815] [PATCH] Switching to Weblate

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:59:00 +0100

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 03:52:49PM +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Hi Guix!
> 
> It's finally time to switch to Weblate! We are now hosted at
> https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/guix/.

Hooray, this is wonderful news.  Continuous translations are much
better for the rolling release model.

> The second
> patch replaces every mention of the translation project in our
> documentation with a new link to Weblate.

You write:

>  If you would like to translate this document in your native language, consider
> +joining the
> +@uref{https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/guix/documentation-cookbook,
> +Weblate}.

I think it’s just “joining Weblate”, not “joining the Weblate”.

> We have the website translation on the Weblate too, so the draft blog
> post at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/26302#88 could be updated with that
> information and published.

I adapted the first paragraphs of the blog post to Weblate, diff is
attached (see it online at
<https://pelzflorian.de/4th-draft-adding-translations-to-guix-website/index.html>).

Shall I publish the blog post?

Regards,
Florian

diff --git a/website/posts/4th-draft-adding-translations-to-guix-website.md b/website/posts/4th-draft-adding-translations-to-guix-website.md
index 1d80176..0af2694 100644
--- a/website/posts/4th-draft-adding-translations-to-guix-website.md
+++ b/website/posts/4th-draft-adding-translations-to-guix-website.md
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
 title: Adding translations to Guix’ website
-date: 2020-08-01 15:00
+date: 2021-01-13 12:00
 author: Florian Pelz
 tags: Community
 ---
@@ -23,27 +23,28 @@ software packages, Guix uses
 translations, with which translatable strings are extracted from the
 source code to so-called PO files.  If this is new to you, the magic
 behind the translation process is best understood by taking a look at
-one of them.  Download a PO file from [your language’s team at the
-Translation Project (TP)](https://translationproject.org/team).
+one of them.
+[Download](https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/user/files.html) a PO
+file from [your language’s entry at the Fedora Weblate
+instance](https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/guix/).
 
 Even though PO files are text files, changes should not be made with a
-text editor but with PO editing software.  Translators can use any of
+text editor but with PO editing software.  Weblate integrates PO
+editing functionality.  Alternatively, translators can use any of
 various free-software tools for filling in translations, of which
-[Poedit](https://poedit.net) is one example.  There also is a [special
-PO editing mode](https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PoMode) for users of
+[Poedit](https://poedit.net) is one example, and (after logging in)
+[upload](https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/user/files.html) the
+changed file.  There also is a [special PO editing
+mode](https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PoMode) for users of
 [GNU Emacs](https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs).  Over time
 translators find out what software they are happy with and what
 features they need.
 
-Help with translations is much appreciated.  If you intend to become a
-translator, before you begin with serious editing of a PO file, you
-should learn about how your TP team is organized.  You need to talk to
-[your team](https://translationproject.org/team) at the Translation
-Project, which also helps avoid duplicate work.  The TP also hosts a
-[list of steps](https://translationproject.org/html/translators.html)
-to help new translators getting started, though not all are needed for
-Guix — we at Guix do not require a copyright disclaimer — and it may
-be easier to talk to the helpful people at your TP team.
+Help with translations is much appreciated.  Since Guix integrates
+with the wider free software ecosystem, if you intend to become a
+translator, it is worth taking a look at the styleguides and the work
+of other translators.  You will find some [at your language’s team at
+the Translation Project (TP)](https://translationproject.org/team).
 
 So much for the translation of ordinary source code.  With
 [Po4a](https://po4a.org), we can also use Gettext’s tooling to