Subject: bug#45814: closed (Re: bug#45814: [PATCH] [native-comp] drop -ldl on OpenBSD)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 20:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#45814: [PATCH] [native-comp] drop -ldl on OpenBSD

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
45814: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45814
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#45814: [PATCH] [native-comp] drop -ldl on OpenBSD
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Omar Polo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 20:35:18 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Omar Polo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Omar Polo <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Tags: patch
>>>
>>> TL;DR: on openbsd the various dl* functions are in libc.  The attached
>>> patch drops the -ldl here.
>>
>> Hi Omar,
>>
>> thanks for the patch!
>>
>> what's the state of your copyright paperwork?
>>
>>   Andrea
>
> I got it approved just a couple of days ago.  Should I attach the pdf?
> If it's enough, I submitted another patch recently[0] that was merged.
> (sorry for the probably dumb question, but these are my first
> contribution to a GNU project)

Nice, so congrats your second patch is in as 79b9a262ff :)

Closing

Thanks

  Andrea

PS Please next time format the patch with git adding a simple Changelog
entry (see "** Commit messages" in CONTRIBUTE).

Subject: [PATCH] [native-comp] drop -ldl on OpenBSD
From: Omar Polo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:18:51 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

TL;DR: on openbsd the various dl* functions are in libc.  The attached
patch drops the -ldl here.

Longer version:

I wanted to try the native-comp.  On OpenBSD gcc 10 isn't available, and
gcc 8 doesn't bundle libgccjit.  I hacked the port of of gcc 8 to
provide also the libgccjit, but even if the "smoke test" worked,
building emacs with gcc8 and libgccjit failed.  (this was a couple of
months ago at least).  Today I gave it another shot and built gcc 10
from sources somewhere in my $HOME, and then managed to get emacs up and
running :)  -- honestly, given the amount of hacks to get gcc10 working
in $HOME I am surprised nothing has exploded yet.

I still get a bunch of warnings (atm *Warnings* is 301 lines long), but
they are related to how I installed libgccjit and gcc10, not emacs
itself.

Anyway, none of the above is really about the patch.  The only real
modification on the emacs side was to drop -ldl (and something related
get getopt_long, but I need to investigate that a bit more).

Thanks

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd6.8, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-01-12 built on venera
Repository revision: ce0c9c349363b5dbea56f7e32c838a93c729263d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: OpenBSD venera 6.8 GENERIC.MP#223 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=mygcc 'CFLAGS=-I /home/op/opt/gcc10/include/
 -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
 -L/usr/local/lib -L/home/op/opt/gcc10/lib -lmyuglyhack'
 --prefix=/home/op/opt/native-emacs --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-nativecomp --without-makeinfo'

-- 
/Omar Polo