Subject: Re: bug#45799: 28.0.50; Faces shrink unreadable on GUI when foreground/background color set in TUI

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 19:11:30 +0200

> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 19:36:57 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > This is a whole different problem, one that I cannot reproduce.  For
> > me, customize-themes works as documented: I can enable and disable any
> > theme I want, and it works as I'd expect, including changes in colors.
> > 
> > However, you didn't tell how you used customize-themes, and what
> > didn't work there, so I don't think we are talking about the same
> > thing.
> 
> I have given the recipe how to reproduce. You say you cannot reproduce
> it?

You didn't give the recipe for using customize-themes which you say
doesn't work unless you unset the colors.  That was the reason you
needed to unset the colors to begin with, right?  Or did I
misunderstand you?

Once again: unsetting colors as you did will affect the default face
on all frames, which is not what you want.  So if you really need ti
change the default colors, I suggest using set-face-foreground and
set-face-background, which can be told to change the colors only for a
certain frame.  And if you don't need to change the colors, but need
customize-themes to work, then let's talk about your problem with
customize-themes, and forget about changing the default face, which
you say was just a workaround.

> So if I would use customize-themes without unsetting of foreground and
> background color, I would not see much of changes in console, as
> colors would not change.

Please show a recipe for such a failure in customize-themes, starting
with "emacs -Q".

> > So I don't think I understand your problem, and if the only reason for
> > customizing faces on a TTY frame was that customize-themes didn't work
> > for you, we should talk about the latter, and you should begin with
> > describing how customize-themes doesn't work for you.
> 
> See above. But the recipe and bug is not really related to
> customize-themes, as I did not use it in the recipe.

AFAIU, it _is_ related, because you explained that you didn't really
need to change the colors, except as a workaround for a problem you
have with customize-themes.

> > It's not a bug, it's a cockpit error: you yourself did something that
> > has this effect, and you did it globally.  Customize is limited to
> > changing faces globally, on all frames, existing and future ones; if
> > that's not what you want, don't use Customize.
> 
> So you say if I unset foreground color by using emacsclient in
> console, it is just fine that all the fonts in GUI are shrinked?

You didn't unset the colors, you've customized the default face.

> I did not shrink the faces and I did not unset settings of fonts. Why
> is then font changing? It is not logical to say that should be default
> behavior.

You are using Customize for a job for which it wasn't intended.  Font
size problems aside, using Customize like that will never do what you
want.  Why do you insist on using a command for a job that is not what
you want?