Subject: Re: bug#45799: 28.0.50; Faces shrink unreadable on GUI when foreground/background color set in TUI

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 17:13:52 +0200

> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 05:51:13 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> - I had to unset foreground and background colors, as I wanted to use
>   emacsclient -nw in xterm but the current theme was not quite
>   readable in console
> 
> - to change the theme with customize-themes, I had to unset foreground
>   and background color, as otherwise changing theme simply does not
>   work. This may be another bug, and I do so for many months as a
>   workaround to change the them. Usually I unset the
>   foreground/background color, even if under emacs -Q and only then I
>   am able to see the changes of the changing themes function
>   customize-themes
> 
> - but this time I had both GUI and console, unsetting
>   foreground/background color in console, made GUI have miniscule
>   faces or fonts

This is a whole different problem, one that I cannot reproduce.  For
me, customize-themes works as documented: I can enable and disable any
theme I want, and it works as I'd expect, including changes in colors.

However, you didn't tell how you used customize-themes, and what
didn't work there, so I don't think we are talking about the same
thing.

So I don't think I understand your problem, and if the only reason for
customizing faces on a TTY frame was that customize-themes didn't work
for you, we should talk about the latter, and you should begin with
describing how customize-themes doesn't work for you.

> When the GUI practically disappears due to shrinkage of faces, that
> still seem a bug

It's not a bug, it's a cockpit error: you yourself did something that
has this effect, and you did it globally.  Customize is limited to
changing faces globally, on all frames, existing and future ones; if
that's not what you want, don't use Customize.