Subject: bug#45793: 28.0.50; Gnus cannot respool on nnimap

From: Phillip Lord <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:23:27 +0000

I cannot respool mail when using nnimap.

*Messages* reports:

Moving to nnimap: (2583)...
((NO (TRYCREATE) Mailbox doesn’t exist: mail.misc (0.001 + 0.000 secs) .))
Couldn’t Move article 2583: ((NO (TRYCREATE) Mailbox doesn’t exist: mail.misc (0.001 + 0.000 secs) .))
nnimap read 0k from localhost
nnimap-send-command: Buffer  *nnimap localhost nil  *nntpd**-510358 has no process

I think it comes from this code in gnus-summary-move-article:

  (gnus-request-move-article
	    article			; Article to move
	    gnus-newsgroup-name         ; From newsgroup
	    (nth 1 (gnus-find-method-for-group
		    gnus-newsgroup-name)) ; Server
	    (list 'gnus-request-accept-article
		  to-newsgroup (list 'quote select-method)
		  (not articles) t)	; Accept form
	    (not articles)		; Only save nov last time
	    (and move-is-internal
		 to-newsgroup		; Not respooling
					; Is this move internal?
		 (gnus-group-real-name to-newsgroup)))))

And last form returns "nil", so gnus-request-move-article also gets
"nil" even though the move is internal from one imap to another.

I get the same behaviour on Emacs-28 master and Emacs-27.

Phil

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-01-03 built on oban
Repository revision: a3f2373bfb604af5570c86b4ffefb23296a5bfdd
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES NATIVE_COMP THREADS
LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  global-pabbrev-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow emacsbug debug cl-print edebug backtrace vc-git diff-mode
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func shortdoc help-fns radix-tree
mm-archive gnus-draft bbdb-message vc-dispatcher vc-svn mailalias
mule-util sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table pabbrev thingatpt debbugs soap-client url-http
url-auth url-gw rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp utf-7 nndraft nnmh
gnutls network-stream nsm bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr kinsoku
svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader wid-edit secret epa-file m-buffer m-buffer-macro
f s mail-split bbdb bbdb-site timezone bbdb-loaddefs message rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
comp comp-cstr warnings rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils rx shared which-key advice tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint parse-time
iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec tmmofl-x tmmofl cl yasnippet
ansi-color ivy colir color ivy-overlay printing ps-print
ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr edmacro kmacro image-file image-converter
diminish winner dash phildark-theme leuven-theme cl-extra help-mode
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core git-update
delsel cua-base ring server package-autoload finder-inf tex-site
ess-generics info package easymenu browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 780125 35339)
 (symbols 48 72972 9)
 (strings 32 292956 26313)
 (string-bytes 1 7029812)
 (vectors 16 92344)
 (vector-slots 8 1346089 102028)
 (floats 8 868 407)
 (intervals 56 35267 0)
 (buffers 984 54))