Subject: bug#45779: Once FFAP sniffs a URL, its taste buds no longer recognize filenames

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 06:53:45 +0800

>>>>> "LI" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Sure, one could remember to do C-u C-x C-f etc.
>> 
>> But that isn't natural.

LI> Why not?

Because the computer should be smarter than needing that. We have
cleaned up the minibuffer. So, just like the prompt (always) says, we
should be able to enter a filename (and have it expanded._

>> What is natural is if we clean up the whole minibuffer, then FFAP should
>> reset its thinking.

LI> What if the user deleted the contents because they wanted to type in a
LI> different URL?

They could just type in the URL fine in that case.

>> Or, at least not prompt us with the "lie" of "File or URL..." when it is
>> already in "URL expansion only mode"...

LI> You can type in a file name and it'll be opened.

Ah, but not TAB expanded. All of the sudden it's like (year) 1967 and MS-DOS.

LI> I don't see anything to fix here; closing.