Subject: [bug#45725] [PATCH] gnu: Add gutenprint.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 15:56:47 +0100

Hi,

John Doe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/cups.scm (gutenprint): New variable.

[...]

> +    (synopsis "Printer drivers for CUPS on GNU/Linux")

You can remove “on GNU/Linux”, it’s implicit (I don’t see how it could
be non-portable actually!).

> +    ;; Supported printers list from:
> +    ;; http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php
> +    ;; Remember to update on version bumps with this command:
> +    ;; $ curl http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php | \
> +    ;; grep -Po '(?<=^<tr><td>).+?(?=</td>)' | sed 's/^/@item /g'
> +    (description "Printer drivers for
                     ^
Please make it a full sentence, as per:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Synopses-and-Descriptions.html

> +CUPS on GNU/Linux, Macintosh OS X, and other POSIX-compliant operating systems.
> +This project also maintains an enhanced Print plug-in for GIMP 2.x from
> +the same code base.  This driver claims to support these printers:
> +
> +@enumerate
> +@item Canon BJ-30
> +@item Canon BJC-50

I think we shouldn’t have such lists, even with the comment above on how
to update it.  It’s not the right place for that and it would scare away
translators (who are already shy enough when it comes to translating
package descriptions :-)).

What you could do is write a sentence like:

  “This driver supports widespread inkjet printers by major vendors,
  including Canon, Epson, Fujitsu, and SONY.”  (arbitrary choice)

That way people will at least see the vendor names, but the description
remains human-readable.

Otherwise LGTM.  Could you send an updated patch?

Thanks,
Ludo’.