Subject: Re: bug#45701: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] (33b8ce8) `M-x report-emacs-bug` error: "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

From: Justin Schell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 12:49:01 -0800

> I think the idea would be ~ to:
>
> - compile with debug symbols
>
> - start gdb loading emacs
>
> - source .gdbinit
>
> - add a breakpoint in 'wrong_type_argument'
>
> - run Emacs and let the error happen
>
> - At this point gdb should take control and you should be able to type
>   'bt' to obtain and report the backtrace

Hi Andrea,

So, I was able to build emacs with debug symbols and run via gdb as
directed above, but unfortunately, gdb doesn't hit the breakpoint when
I run `M-x report-emacs-bug`. gdb does break quite a few times (770
times, to be exact) on `wrong_type_argument` during startup, though. I
looked at the emacs source a bit to try to put a breakpoint somewhere
that would be more fruitful, but I didn't really see where I would do
so.

I did a screen capture of my reproducing the issue on this thread.
Perhaps you could take a look and would have an idea for what I might
be doing wrong or what to try next. See
https://github.com/schellj/emacs-native-comp-debug/blob/wrong-type-argument/emacs-native-comp-wrong-type-argument.mov

Thanks,
Justin