Subject: Re: bug#45701: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] (33b8ce8) `M-x report-emacs-bug` error: "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 20:31:21 +0000

Justin Schell <[email-masked]> writes:

>> BTW dumb question: the issue is present also running "emacs -Q" right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> one could also place the breackpoint from gdb for an interactive
>> session, is just a little more annoying if one want to re-run multiple
>> times while debugging.
>
> Trying to do that, but I have no idea what I'm doing with gdb. The
> following doesn't seem to do anything useful. It does seem to run an
> emacs process, but there's no window that comes up for me to interact
> with and nothing else seems to happen:

I think the idea would be ~ to:

- compile with debug symbols

- start gdb loading emacs

- source .gdbinit

- add a breakpoint in 'wrong_type_argument'

- run Emacs and let the error happen

- At this point gdb should take control and you should be able to type
  'bt' to obtain and report the backtrace

Thanks

  Andrea