Subject: bug#45701: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] (33b8ce8) `M-x report-emacs-bug` error: "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 11:18:27 +0000

Justin Schell <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm still seeing the `M-x report-emacs-bug` error: "Wrong type
> argument: stringp, nil" issue in builds of `feature/native-comp` made
> since updating Xcode and all Homebrew deps this morning.
>
> However, this issue does indeed seem to be caused by something going
> awry in the build process on my machine as I just rebuilt from a
> commit that I had been using for quite a while (`cb293cf` from
> 2020-09-10) and I'm now seeing this issue in that build as well. I
> still have the build of that commit that I ran in September and `M-x
> report-emacs-bug` works fine. I saved the build log and scrolled
> through it, but didn't see anything obviously wrong apart from a few
> compiler warnings.
>
> Note that I don't see that issue in builds from `master`, so it seems
> to be related to a dependency of `feature/native-comp`. I also saved
> the build log from a (successful) `master` build. I can try to compare
> the logs from the two branches, but I'm not sure if that will be
> fruitful.
>
> Any other suggestions for how to debug this issue?

Hi Justin,

look like there's some odd state that is complicating the investigation.
Have you tried removing the 'eln-cache' folder?  I'm not sure where in
MacOS is, I have it under '~/.emacs.d/eln-cache'.

Also, are we talking about an 'emacs -Q' session correct?

Thanks

  Andrea