Subject: Re: bug#45701: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] (33b8ce8) `M-x report-emacs-bug` error: "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

From: Justin Schell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 16:45:08 -0800

Thanks for the replies Jim.

> Justin, if your Xcode or Homebrew deps are not fully up to date, I'd
> say start there, I've seen odd behavior a few times fixed by simply
> updating deps.

FWIW, I'm still on Catalina, so there's a potential difference between
our setups (avoiding upgrading to Big Sur for now).

I do also have a pending Xcode update that I hadn't installed because
for some reason it thinks it needs 40GB of free space to install. I
managed to clear the space and am downloading the update now, but
it'll take a while.

I'll test once that's installed and check my Homebrew deps as well.

> > I've been trying to isolate the commit that introduced the reported
> > issue and it appears to be between commits `0f561ee` (issue not
> > present) and `a3f2373` (issue present).
>
> As far as I can tell commit 0f561ee is from the master branch, so it
> does not include any of the changes from the feature/native-comp
> branch. I tend to use this as a quick way to see recent commits:
> https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/compare/feature/native-comp

Sorry if what I said was confusing. I meant that `M-x
report-emacs-bug` works fine as of commit `0f561ee`, but not as of
commit `a3f2373`. There are a few commits in that range, but I haven't
had time to test all of them as the build takes a fair bit of time to
complete.

Also, FWIW, I initially ran into the "Wrong type argument: stringp,
nil" error when `(native-compile-async "~/.emacs.d/elpa" t)` ran. When
I went to use `M-x report-emacs-bug`, I noticed the same error. So,
the underlying issue is presumably something lower-level than either
of those functions themselves.

Justin