Subject: Re: ZFS on Guix, again

From: 宋文武 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 19:44:34 +0800

raid5atemyhomework <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi guix-devel,
>
> I had some questions on the big ZFS guix bugpatches a week ago, and
> did not find any response, so I am back here pestering everyone.

Hello, thank you for working on ZFS for guix!

>
> [...]
> There are two alternatives:
>
> * Go with what I already proposed which I think is more general-purpose and cleaner (there is a separate service type that accepts symbols, and a separate service type that accepts `<file-system>` records, and the latter just extends the former).
> * Don't make a separate service type, but now we need to add some kind of `fstab?` field to `file-system` so that the ZFS shepherd service that mounts ZFS file systems will not be included in the `/etc/fstab`.
>
> I think overall that having lots of tiny service types that are then
> combined together fits the functional design of Guix better.  So I
> would strongly propose my original design rather than hacks on top of
> `file-system-service-type`.

Well, I think the 'file-system-service-type' should handle all file
systems related configurations, but my opion is not strong.  Waiting
ludo to decide...