Subject: [bug#45692] [PATCH 0/4] Even Better ZFS Support on Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 15:27:08 +0100

raid5atemyhomework <[email-masked]> skribis:

>>>From d0e095136cd471f083d92416f12ca22b47301f31 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: raid5atemyhomework <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 09:24:20 +0800
> Subject: [PATCH 4/4] gnu: Add service to install ZFS.
>
> * gnu/services/file-systems.scm: New file.
> (zfs-service-type): New variable.
> (<zfs-configuration>): New type.
> (%zfs-zvol-dependency): New variable.
> * gnu/local.mk: Add gnu/services/file-systems.scm.
> * gnu/services/base.scm (dependency->shepherd-service-name): Export.
> * doc/guix.texi (ZFS file system): New subsection.

A bit of nitpicking on the documentation bits…

> +@node ZFS file system
> +@subsection ZFS file system

Please follow the same typographical conventions as in the rest of the
manual.  In particular, capitalize section titles and leave two spaces
after end-of-sentence periods.

Here I recommend s/ZFS file system/ZFS/ in all the text.

> +The ZFS file system has a license incompatible with the Linux kernel,
> +and thus cannot be distributed with the kernel. However, as a user
> +you have the right to do whatever you want on your own hardware,
> +including download the ZFS source code, compile it, link it to your
> +own private copy of Linux, and run it. You can even use the Guix build
> +system to automate this.

How about:

  ZFS is free software; unfortunately its license is incompatible with
  the GNU General Public License (GPL), the license of the Linux kernel,
  which means they cannot be distributed together.  However, as a user,
  you can choose to build ZFS and use it together with Linux; you can
  even rely on Guix to automate this task.  See
  @uref{https://www.fsf.org/licensing/zfs-and-linux, this analysis by
  the Free Software Foundation} for more information.

?

> +As a large and complex kernel module, ZFS on Linux has to be compiled
                                         ^
I think it’s a proper noun and is spelled “ZFS-on-Linux”.

> +with a specific version of the kernel. Often even the latest ZFS
> +package available cannot be compiled with the latest Linux kernel
                                                        ^
s/Linux/Linux-libre/

Thanks,
Ludo’.