Subject: Re: [bug#45692] [PATCH 0/3] Better Support for ZFS on Guix

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:22:36 -0400

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 02:09:55PM +0000, raid5atemyhomework via Guix-patches via wrote:
> Oh come on stop your shitty excuses.  Nobody would look at this unless I showed up at least once a week to pester Guix maintainers.  I already tried the wait-for-people-and-they-will-come.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  If you want contributors to be more respectful, then put up definitive responsibilities of who to contact for what and what to do if patches are being ignored.  Otherwise I am just going to talk smack at you, Prikler.

Participating in a software project is both a technical and a social
exercise. It's not enough to merely do the technical work.

You may need to complete some smaller and less contentious contributions
along the way in order to build social trust with other people within
Guix.

There is a risk of social problems within GNU if we add ZFS to Guix:
there is not a consensus within GNU about whether it's okay to integrate
ZFS into our software.

It's important for the primary contributor of ZFS (that's you) to
demonstrate that they can manage that gracefully. None of us want to
assume the position of having to argue on your behalf.

It's true that Guix has grown large enough that formalizing teams and
points of contact for various areas would help contributors.

But until then, contributors are free to make an effort: learn who to
contact, build a collegial relationship with them, etc.