Subject: Re: bug#45686: 28.0.50; Could minibuf-eldef-setup-minibuffer inhibit modifications hooks, please?

From: Omar Antolín Camarena <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 08:57:23 -0600

> Well, I could see others wanting to trigger something on these
> modifications, too, so I'm not sure inhibiting these specific
> modifications from running the hooks would be a good general solution.

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to trigger something when eldef shortens
the prompt! But that could easily be a lack of imagination on my part. :)

I think my problem is that I'm wrong about what after-change-functions
is for. I thought it was supposed to trigger when the buffer changes due
to direct user actions, but the documentation says "after every change",
not "after user-initiated changes" or something like that. Maybe I just
need to re-adjust my expectations of when that hook runs.

> That looks like the correct solution for your use case?

Seems so.

> Anybody else got an opinion here?

I'd be interested to read other opinions, particularly if someone has a
useful example of triggering something to happen when eldef shortens the
prompt (since a single example would increase my powers of imagination!).

-- 
Omar