Subject: Re: bug#45676: Store references inside compressed data

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 22:31:30 +0100

Hi Leo,

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From 57c23bf6ecac79c397cb49ff251176ec3a7b1cf5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 09:24:07 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: emacs: Don't install compressed archives.
>
> See <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/45676#3>.

Perhaps make it a comment next to the option.

> * gnu/packages/emacs.scm (emacs)[#:configure-flags]:
> Add --without-compress-install.
> (emacs-minimal)[#:configure-flags]: Likewise.

[...]

> +                               "--without-compress-install"

Does that disable .el file compression altogether for Emacs’ own files?

If so, isn’t it too much?  Do these file currently contain store file
names?

(I know EMMS .el files for instance are full of store file names, so
that one should definitely not be gzipped, but Emacs itself may be
fine?)

Ludo’.