Subject: bug#4566: 23, NS: frames re-appear when app switching

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:41:34 -0400

On Oct 17, 2009, at 8:27 AM, David Reitter wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:
>>
>> They should probably stay invisible, but OTOH I'm not sure how much  
>> user's expectations will be upset by this as I can't think of  
>> another Mac app that lets users make windows "invisible".  On what  
>> basis are you saying it is "non-standard"?
>
> Every other app lets users delete all frames, but not so Emacs.   
> Therefore, hiding a frame (or the last frame) serves as a proxy for  
> deleting.  That's what makes the present behavior unexpected.

I dunno, that sounds a bit like a hack.  Maybe the fix is to let emacs  
exist without a frame on this platform, but if that's too much of a  
break with OTHER platforms (and it might be, at least for  
implementation reasons), then perhaps it should just be lived with.  I  
don't like the idea of supporting invisible frames under NS _at all_.   
(In fact, whoever came up with that feature (which is not standard on  
ANY platform, while all support iconification or something similar) to  
begin with should be  questioned intensively by the police, but that's  
another issue.. ;-)