Subject: bug#45652: so-long mode not triggered despite big file with very long lines

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:30:03 +1300

On 2021-01-12 12:04, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Yup, definitely add so-long mode to those choices. As even with
> "literally" the problems come when the user hits ^S and searches
> within possible long lines.

I think that so-long may not perform any better, but it would
still be *different* (and hence potentially useful), so I think
it's probably a good idea.

> PS> You could always configure Emacs to open all .har files in
> PS> so-long-mode, if this is the only way you encounter them?
> 
> Any archive format that that day has some nasty file at the bottom
> of it will have the same problem.

Oh, it's an archive format?  In that case Emacs should probably
learn to treat it similarly to tar files, etc?

If the "long line" is actually some distinct file with an archive,
and Emacs treated it as an archive, then opening that file from
within the archive would be more likely to trigger so-long when
necessary.

Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.har I can see why js-mode
has been associated, but it's surely not the ideal solution.

> I was still using C-h v as today is the first time I heard of C-h o.

Remember that C-h v is only for variables.  C-h f is for functions
(which would have worked here), and C-h o is a good choice when you
know what something is named, but don't know exactly what it is.

-Phil